Ruminations From the Western Slope

Ruminations From the Western Slope
Colorado River near Moab, Utah

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The Last Road Trip - Part 4

Thursday, March 21   San Luis Obispo, California

The full moon rose at the Carrizo Plain but I never saw it.  Too many storm clouds gathering and rain shortly thereafter.  The winds rocked the van as I tried to sleep.  Nevertheless, yesterday morning dawned relatively clear and dry.  But I knew more rain was imminent so made the decision to head for indoor accommodations.  That being said, I took my sweet time packing up.  I took a short walk near the campground, winding through open tracts of low grasses and chaparral.  There were the usual abundance of goldfields and fiddlenecks, but also some nice poppy stands.   Here and there a jackrabbit would dart from the brush.

Once I left the campground, I headed north through intermittent rain, stopping when I could to photograph the dramatic landscape.  This included a hillside full of blooming baby blue eyes near Soda Lake, the most I have ever seen in one place.  When I reached Highway 58, I elected to drive east for several miles to catch the colors in the Temblor Range.  I was not disappointed.  The hills were luminescent with yellows and oranges.  I spent a good deal of time taking pictures before turning around and heading west on 58 toward Santa Margarita and the coast.  Classic California inner coastal terrain along the way.  Big valley oaks and gray pines.  Splotches of wildflowers everywhere.  I played Dark Star by the Grateful Dead as I wound around the green hills and valleys.

In the end, I decided to head to San Luis Obispo as I had not been in that town for over 40 years.  Found a decent motel and took a drive out to Morro Bay where I could see the Pacific Coast once again.  Since then I have been catching up on mail and on writing.  This morning I plan on checking out the nearby Spanish Mission.

My health seems to be holding.  Although I look at the end of my arms and see an old man’s hands.  And I am surprised at the loose skin and liver spots. I am surprised that I am nearly 72 years old.  And the thoughts make me feel more vulnerable than I have ever felt before.  This while my 93 year old mother has just been admitted to a 24-hour care facility, and my daughter Alison is going into induced labor tomorrow in Reno.  It is a lot on my plate.

Yet I look forward to the last big destination on this journey.  My stay at Pinnacles National Park. Then the long and daunting drive homeward.

No comments:

Post a Comment